Austin Divorce Decree Modification Lawyer

Modification of Divorce Terms

Nothing is as certain as change. People divorce and remarry. They start second families. Children grow and their needs change. People lose jobs and get better jobs. Circumstances are always changing. Divorced spouses sometimes request modifications to accommodate to these changes. At Newberry Law, P.L.L.C. we help people who are requesting modifications and those who contest changes to existing divorce decrees.

Does a substantial change in your life have you thinking about the need to modify a divorce decree? Contact our firm to arrange your consultation with attorney Joe Newberry in any of the following matters.

  • Child custody: Texas courts do not like to change a child’s circumstances for at least one year after the original order. Our firm can answer any questions you may have. To change primary custody in Texas, you must have a good reason to change and the change must be in the best interests of the child. If both parties agree to the change, the process can be relatively easy. In some situations, requests for modification are based on a parents’ drug or alcohol abuse. Our firm also assists grandparents who are interested in obtaining custody when they see their grandchildren in unsafe environments.
  • Child support: Child support modifications usually involve a request for an increase or decrease in payment after the order has been in force for at least three years. Reductions may be granted when the payor parent has lost a job, taken a pay cut or had additional children through birth or remarriage. Increases may be granted because of a pay increase, new medical needs of the child or if hidden assets come to light.
  • Spousal support: Changes to alimony are handled on a case-by-case basis. Although infrequent, modification are sometimes granted.

Contact our firm to arrange your consultation and learn how we can help.

Rate this post